ARC NEWS
Australia and New Zealand make fresh attempt at travel bubble
December 15, 2020
New Zealand and Australia could announce a travel bubble in early 2021, but plans are tempered by fears of a possible Covid-19 resurgence. New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern says discussions are underway with Canberra, and barring “significant changes in the circumstances of either country,” a bubble will be announced for a re-launch of quarantine-free trans-Tasman air travel. One concern raised by Ardern is the possibility of a coronavirus resurgence in Australia. The two countries were on the verge of opening a travel bubble in mid-2020, but a Covid-19 outbreak in Australia’s Victoria state pre-empted these plans. “If there is an outbreak for instance in Australia – and it’s not a hypothetical, there have been several – we would need to make arrangements to have potentially thousands of New Zealanders brought back to New Zealand in numbers that we wouldn’t be able to facilitate necessarily in managed isolation,” says Ardern. “Making sure we have contingencies for how that would work safely is a key part in us finally being allowed to finalize these arrangements.” Other considerations include how passengers using the bubble arrangement will be segregated at airports, and how airlines will handle the logistics involved in a travel bubble. Separately, on 11 December Singapore decreed that passengers arriving from Hong Kong will now have to undergo 14 days in quarantine upon entering the city state owing to a resurgence of coronavirus there. Previously, Hong Kong arrivals had only to serve seven days at their place of residence. This followed news on 1 December that the long-planned Hong Kong-Singapore travel bubble, originally planned to start on 24 November, has been pushed back to 2021. Singapore, however, will allow visitors from Taiwan to enter Singapore without serving quarantine from 18 December. It cited Taiwan’s strong record managing coronavirus and the lack of local transmission on the island. Countries where Singapore has unilaterally lifted border restrictions are Australia, Brunei, mainland China, New Zealand, and Vietnam.


Heathrow to keep Terminal 4 shut until end of 2021
December 14, 2020
London Heathrow airport is to keep Terminal 4 non-operational until the end of next year as a recovery in air traffic continues to falter. Passenger numbers fell by 88% in November at Europe’s biggest hub over the previous year as it handled just 747,000 passengers. That marked a decline on the 1.24 million passengers Heathrow had in October – which was itself down 82% on the same month in 2019. National lockdown restrictions were tightened over much of the UK during November, compounding demand already hit as a result of increased travel restrictions across Europe. ”Based on current forecasts and continued decline in passengers, the decision has been taken for Terminal 4 to remain non-operational until the end of 2021,” the airport says. Heathrow airport has handled just under 21 million passenger numbers across the first 11 months of the year – down almost 72% on the same period last year. The airport handled just under 81 million passenger in 2019.


US airline employment dips to lowest level in 30 years
December 14, 2020
Scheduled US passenger airlines cut almost 37,000 jobs in the one-month period ending mid-October, bringing that sector’s employment to the lowest level in at least 30 years, US government data shows. Those cuts followed the expiration in at the end of September of US government aid that had specifically funded US airlines’ payrolls. In mid-October, 22 US carriers employed 368,162 full-time staff, down 9% from 404,869 in the middle of September, the US Department of Transportation (DOT) says on 11 December. Airlines have not employed so few people in any month since the DOT started reporting the figure in January 1990. The sector’s mid-October employment figure was down 19% - or about 86,000 jobs – from the 454,070 full-time workers employed by airlines one year earlier. The majority of the September-October cuts came from four US network carriers, which employ the most of the group and which collectively slashed 32,000 jobs in the period. Low-cost carriers eliminated only about 1,400 jobs in the one-month period, while US regional airlines cut 3,100 jobs, DOT data shows. The government’s pandemic-relief law, passed in March, made $29 billion available for airlines to pay staff salaries and benefits. That aid expired after 30 September.


LOG ON

CONTACT
SGS Aviation Compliance
ARC Administrator
SGS South Africa (Pty) Ltd
54 Maxwell Drive
Woodmead North Office Park
Woodmead
2191
South Africa

Office:   +27 11 100 9100
Direct:   +27 11 100 9108
Email Us

OFFICE DIRECTORY
Find SGS offices and labs around the world.
The ARC is a mobile friendly website.